I drove home Tuesday night, and my family hit the road early Wednesday morning to spend the holiday in Erie, Pennsylvania. Family fun, food, cards, and running!
My dad and I got up extra early to fit in a workout before the drive–I ran a 7 mile tempo(ish), and he swam.
As we loaded up the car, Laura and I made sure to pack our Tripoly money–my sad little pile and Laura’s loaded bag. Miss Moneybags always wins Tripoly; I think it’s because she’s a CPA (but not really because the game is 90% luck). Tripoly is a mixture of Hearts, Poker, and Michigan Rummy that we play at every family gathering, and each person in my family, including my brother’s friends who are like extra brothers, has a pile of nickels specifically designated for Tripoly.
With our car weighed down by Laura’s portable bank, we were off! I spent the next 6 hours listening to car jams and reading an entire novel.
Wednesday Fun in Erie:
- Antique shopping with my mom, sister, and aunt
- My parents, Laura, Grandma & Joe, and I ate at our go-to dinner location, Barbato’s Pizza. We got way to much food for the six of us to share. Salad, bread, garlic bread, two pizzas, pepperoni balls, and a sub. Veggie count: iceberg lettuce and the tomato on the sub. Carb count: Yes.
- My parents, Laura, and I went to an Erie Seawolves baseball game after dinner. My thoughts on baseball games: I love baseball, but would love it even more if all games were 5 innings. Fortunately, we had awesome seats in the third row right behind the catcher, so being patient was a little easier. It started raining in the 6th inning, so my mom and I ran for cover while Laura and Dad toughed it out for a little longer. The game was rained out soon after.
- Liberty 5k & 10k with Dad and Laura
- All day at my aunt & uncle’s cottage: family time, cards, food, watermelon, Lake Erie, beach glass, fireworks, photoshoots…
Here’s a bonus picture with an A+ photobomb:
- My dad and I started the day with a circuit workout together at the neighborhood park (when my grandma asked Laura where we were, Laura answered, “They went to the playground”):
20 walking lunges/leg
20 push ups
20 surfer squats
20 tri dips
0.5 mile run
[Complete 5 rounds]
It was a good, hard workout. I was happy to finally introduce PowerAthleteManDad to the circuit style workouts I like to do twice a week. Two days later, I asked him what he thought:
“It exposed my weaknesses, especially the lunges.”
“Definitely something I’ll incorporate into my routine.”
“Painful, even after 2 days. Not sure I’ll ever run again.”
“I thought I was in shape.”
“Karen’s playground routine is a little different from 15 years ago.”
“Playground time just isn’t what it used to be.”
Though the trip was quick, it’s been nice having a weekend at home to recover and get things done before heading back to school. Plus, we missed Greg!
Hope everyone had a fantastic Fourth of July weekend!